The Salad Table – One Month In

by A.J. Coltrane

We planted the new salad table in early August. Last night we harvested this:

150909 harvest

The harvest barely put a dent in the plant mass (Top shelf, L-R: “Little Gem” romaine, dill, spinach, “Jericho” romaine, cilantro, arugula) Behind the greens are the stairs to the front door — the salad table couldn’t be more conveniently located:

150909 salad table

It’s supposed to get into the low 80’s the next couple of days. The salad table only gets sun until about 1pm, but I’m still concerned that something may decide to bolt and destroy part of the “work” we’ve put in. I’m hoping that the shade cloth will help discourage that:

150909 salad table covered

I used a couple of shade cloth pieces we had lying around. There are 2 x 2’s  “attached” with cable ties to the front of the table. The shade cloth isn’t sitting directly on the greens, much. I’ll remove the shade cloth by the weekend — I’ve found I’m much less inclined to harvest greens if I have to fiddle with a cover. Easy and spontaneous is good.

One more picture — a quick weeknight pizza with roasted red pepper sauce (peppers from the garden), mozzarella, and arugula (from the salad table):

150904 pizza

Good stuff.

 

The New Salad Table

by A.J. Coltrane

I’ve been thinking about building a salad table for a while. (Or “lettuce” table, depending upon the reference.) My feeling is that it was within my ability, though the result likely wouldn’t be pretty. I also wasn’t sure that I wanted to sink that much time into it. Then I thought, maybe I could modify something pre-built, like a utility cart. A little searching in catalogs and the internet led me to here. (Amazon link.)

It’s an “industrial” utility cart. The shelves are heavy wire and have a one-inch lip all the way around. Perfect.

That price didn’t seem crazy. Plus I’d be getting three shelves instead of just one. I also wouldn’t need to buy casters or hardware cloth, so I’d be saving $20-30 right there. I still needed to buy window screen ($6) and I used three 6′ pine boards (1″ x 4″ x 72″) at about $2.50 each. The total outlay was about $85, rather than $30-50.

But I think it’s pretty awesome. The total height is about 36″ — allowing for around 14″ between the shelves.

Here it is before installing the screen:

150722 lettuce table

And with the screen installed:

150722 lettuce table2

Now it just needs seeds and soil. That will probably happen early next week. Fun new toy!

———

Extra special thanks to SeattleAuthor for letting me use his tablesaw. (Really, he did all the cutting.) It saved me a bunch of time and labor, and the cuts came out tons better than I could have accomplished with a regular saw.