by A.J. Coltrane
We think we may have “figured something out” with the Tromboncino. I’ll share that first, then some harvest pictures, then everything else.
Last week a Tromboncino vine looked like this:
The smaller of the two fruits withered over the next few days. I removed it midweek.
By Sunday the “winner” had grown to 28 inches(!)
It seems that each Tromboncino vine sends out two or three fruits at the same time, but can only really feed one fruit. The others just wither away. With that in mind, here are the next two candidates:
If within the next few days one starts to look sickly I’ll remove it. Maybe it’s possible for us to have two “winners” on one vine… as of right now, I’m not so sure that’s the case.
Onto the harvest pictures — Our total for the week was 16 pounds, including 3.7 pounds of zucchini, 1.7 pounds of pickling cucumbers, 4.9 pounds of Marketmore cucumbers, 4.9 pounds of Lemon cucumbers, some basil, and a few tomatoes.
Sunday. That’s the same zucchini as pictured above, with a smattering of Sweet Million and Sun Gold tomatoes. And an Iko Iko pepper that had a little bad spot on it so I pulled it:
An overview. Note the ballistic basil on the far right:
Cucumbers (foreground), tomatillos (midground), and zucchini (rear). Also a bunch of energetic tomato vines. For reference, the tomatillo trellis is 6′ tall. The zucchini trellis is 8′:
Carmen peppers. The plants have been super vigorous:
The first Tigerellas are almost ready:
It rained today. Everything is a little more photogenic when wearing a few water droplets, I think.
2013 total weight to date: 24.6 pounds
2014 total weight to date: 22.3 pounds
2015 total weight to date: 56.4 pounds
Visit Daphne’s Dandelions, host of Harvest Monday.