by A.J. Coltrane
Previous post here.
Midweek part of the cocozelle zucchini plant broke most of the way off:
So this mass was cut off, including two pounds of small zucchini:
That same day the first two Glacier tomatoes were picked. On Sunday the first Sun Golds were picked. (No pic of the Sun Golds)
On Friday I went through and thinned out the four basil plants somewhat. Pictured is the “before” separating the stems. It turned into 1/2 pound of basil — $16 worth at the Sunday Farmer’s Market, less than that at the supermarket. Seattleauthor may do a post about basil oil using some of it.
And because that wasn’t enough basil: The home of the spring veg is now basil, scallions and “bunch onions” until the fall. (The four basil plants were sold as one $3.48 pot at a big box store. All of the “bunch onions” were $3. Can’t go wrong with either of those.)
The brussels sprouts are now brusselling. Or sprouting. Caterpillars be damned.
The cucumbers are now rolling:
King of the North pepper. It started looking funky on the side this morning, so the bad part got trimmed and it became an addition to hashbrowns:
The fairly new raspberry plant, a gift from friends. It’s in a big pot that gets runoff from the roof. It’s well drained, we’ll see how it goes:
The tomatoes. Now well over 6 feet tall:
And because the crappy old garden hose was extremely aggravating:
One thought on “EarthBox Update — July 7, 2013”
Sorry I missed this post, earlier.
I did try the basil oil, and posted a recipe for it over at my blog.
Finally showing some fruits on the plants in my earthboxes. Hope to be able to share some with _you_ guys soon.