First up, the weeknight sandwich bread with whole wheat:
The recipe: 600 grams total flour — 200 grams whole wheat (the picture above utilizes freshly milled hard red winter wheat), 400 grams bread flour (King Arthur), 420 grams room temperature water (70% hydration),12 grams kosher salt (2% of total flour weight), 1.5 teaspoons instant yeast.
- Place the whole wheat flour in the mixing bowl. Combine with all of the water and let rest and hydrate for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Add the other ingredients to the bowl and mix on low speed for 8 minutes.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Fold the dough so that it will fit into a 9″ x 5″ bread pan. I used a fair amount of surface tension, which may have helped the dough rise evenly.
- Cover and let rise for two hours. At the 90-minute mark set the oven to 425F
- Slash the dough down the center.
- Bake for 10 minutes covered with another upside-down bread pan. Remove the cover and bake for another 35 minutes.
So it’s totally doable after work, assuming you get home at a reasonable time. All-up it’s about 4.5 – 5 hours and most of that is hands-off.Continue reading “Easy Sandwich Bread With Fresh Milled Whole Wheat Attempt #3. And Leonti’s Flour Lab Yeasted Loaf”