by A.J. Coltrane
GNOIF #10 recap — Bring Out Your Dead (Death/ Horror/ Zombie/ Vampire themes)
Games That Got Played: Black Rock City, Dead Fellas, Zombie Fluxx, Last Night On Earth, Mr. Jack Pocket
Games That Didn’t Get Played: Bang!, Betrayal At House On The Hill, Dracula, Family Business, Gloom, Lost Worlds, Mr. Jack NY, Munchkin Zombies, Mystery Of The Abbey, Vampire Hunter, Zombies!!!
The big hits were Last Night On Earth and Dead Fellas. We wound up playing two games of the Last Night On Earth Escape In The Truck Scenario — the Heroes won both games despite some aggressive card cycling from the zombies. In the first game the heroes won easily by drawing two of Just What I Needed, which allowed them to pull the win conditions (Gas and the Keys) from the deck. In the second game we removed two of the four copies of Just What I Needed from play. That seemed to better balance the scenario: The heroes won that game with only four turns to spare.
Looking around the internet, this might be a good alternate way to play the scenario (Boardgamegeek link):
Dave the Knave:
Link to my thread on thezombiegame.com where the scenario card can be downloaded FREE. This was very well received there, please enjoy!
1) Place the truck in the center of Town. Remove all of the Gasoline cards from the Hero Deck. The Gasoline is obtained from a “Well Stocked” Gas Station that cannot be taken over. Place counters 1-6 facedown in random buildings. Roll a d6 to determine the counter that is the Truck Keys.
2) Heroes can replace their move/search roll with a d6 to look for the Truck Keys. On the roll of 1-3 Take a Hero Card. On the roll of 4+ reveal the counter.
-If Hero is killed carrying Truck Keys then their Zombie Hero must be killed to recover them.
3) To fill up the truck with gas a Hero must give up their turn in the truck and discard the Gasoline.
4) Once the Heroes attempt to start the truck, the Hero with the Truck Keys becomes “The Driver” and the”Escape Phase” begins.
-To attempt to start the Truck and begin the “Escape Phase”, the Hero with the Truck Keys must give up their turn at the truck and roll a d6 for each Hero in truck. The truck starts on the roll of 6.
5) Escape phase – The following rule changes are now in effect.
-The Driver always goes first in subsequent human turns. All the driver can do is attempt to start the truck. They cannot fight, shoot range weapons, or use special abilities. If the Driver is ever left alone with a zombie then they are immediately killed and the game is over.
-the sun tracker stops and the 4 Hero death win condition no longer applies.
-Heroes cannot leave the truck but can get on the truck.
-Heroes killed DO become Zombie Heros and Heroes DO NOT respawn.
-Fights on the truck only happen on Zombie turn.
-When Heroes win a fight they knock the zombies 1 space out of the truck (Heroes Choice).
6) Once truck is started all zombies or Zombie Heroes in the truck must be either killed or knocked off the truck by beating them in a fight. No more zombies can get onto the truck after it has started and the Zombie player can not draw new cards.
-Driver now rolls 2 dice at the start of each subsequent hero turn that the humans fail to clear the truck. If the Driver rolls doubles then the truck crashes and the escape failed.
We played four games of Dead Fellas as well. It’s quick and easily accessible, and it’s possible to have a dramatic comeback at the end of the game.
For fun, here’s a list of the games offered over the first ten GNOIFs:
|Game||Total Times Offered||Not Played||Played|
|Betrayal House Hill||3||1||2|
|Black Rock City||2||1||1|
|Caesar and Cleopatra||2||1||1|
|Cards Against Humanity||3||0||3|
|Gardens of Alhambra||4||2||2|
|Hector and Achillies||1||1||0|
|King of the Elves||2||2||0|
|Last Night on Earth||3||1||2|
|Magic The Gathering||2||0||2|
|Mr. Jack, Pocket||7||5||2|
|Mr. Jack NY||4||4||0|
|Mystery of the Abbey||5||3||2|
|Run For Your Life Candyman||1||0||1|
|The Worst Card Game Ever||1||1||0|
|Ticket to Ride Card Game||4||2||2|
|Ticket to Ride Europe||5||2||3|
The list is 53 games total, 124 “Total Times Offered” (in other words, we’re offering 12.4 games per night). “Played” is 53 also (a coincidence), so we’re playing an average of 5.3 different games per session.
Most played games:
5 nights played – Any Fluxx
4 nights played – Agricola and Rocketville
3 nights played – Cards Against Humanity, Dominion, Forbidden Island, Guillotine, Ticket To Ride Europe